Here are some photos of the damages;
|Broken hood clamp and whats left of the seat when that broke off.|
|The broken off seat.|
|Detail of broken seat, the plastic is charred from the burn test (se below).|
The first step in fixing this was to determine the type of plastic used. I tried contacting Bugaboo but didn't get an answer so I did a burn test. You simply try and set the plastic on fire and look at the flame, smoke and smell to determine the type of plastic using this table: http://www.boedeker.com/burntest.htm. I got nasty smelling black smoke and heavy sooting from the seat so I guessed it was most likely ABS (or maybe Polystyrene). I found a source of plastic that behaved the same (T-joints from a drip irrigation kit) and did a test weld that stuck. Welding thermoplastics is done by simply heating two pieces of plastic to their melting point with a heat gun and then pressing them together. It can be quite tricky to get right though so a little poking with a soldering iron is helpful to get a good solid weld. The results aren't very pretty but very sturdy. I could have made the welds look much nicer by going over them with a dremel and sand paper but the welds will be covered by the seat and hood anyways so I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
|Seat welded back on.|
|Hood clamp reconstructed complete with strap holder :)|
It was my first time welding plastics and if I'm doing it again I would like to have a smaller nozzle for my heat gun to spare surrounding plastics from melting.
The fabric was as good as new after washing (at higher temperature than recommended ofc) and the plastic regained its luster after cleaning with alcohol and rubbing with vasseline. In the end the stroller looks very nice and works like a charm :)